Verse of the Day


Sunday, May 18, 2008

May 18 -- Day 139 of 2008

Reading Psalm 139: The All-Knowing, Ever-Present God (Just the title my bible, HCSB, gives under it) I would love for you to read with me and tell me which verses jumped out at you.
Here are mine:
4 Before a word is on my tongue, you know all about it, LORD.
What a great help this is; I need to commit it to memory. As one who says too much or says the wrong thing, I need to think more about the words I am speaking, are they God's words or my own?

12 even darkness is not dark to You. The night shines like the day; darkness and light are alike to You.
This just really struck me today. When I feel lost, in the dark, God can see the way out when I can't.

16 ...all my days were written in Your book and planned before a single one of them began.
Just another reason to start my day with Him. He knows what He has planned for me today. He knows what needs to get done and what can wait.

23-24 Seach me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my concerns. See if there is any offensive (idolatrous) way in me; lead me in the everlasting way.
He knows my concerns even when I don't or am in denial. I don't want to probe too deep for what I mind find in my heart but he already knows the depths of it. He wants me to bring it up and give it to Him so He can deal with it.

I also read the Proverbs for the day, like 5/18 would be Proverbs 18. Sometimes verses there jump out at me too. Today I noticed several of the verses are about mouth, lips, tongue. All pointing to be careful what we say. But I will just give you one that I want to apply more often: 13 The one who gives an answer before he listens -- this is foolishness and disgrace for him.
If I listened better, my words would get me into trouble. Do you see a theme He is working on with me?

Also, I have let slide my prayers for U.S. My plan was to pray for one each week. If I know people in that state, to pray for them and to contact them (call, write, email, etc.) At the bottom of the blog, you will notice, Delaware. I started with our first state and now we are up to Mississippi, our twentieth state. I will try to update the bottom with the governor and link to their state website so that I (or you) could pray for their elected officials. I don't think I know anyone in MS but maybe you do. Have fun with this!



No comments: